FRANKLIN LAKES, N.J. -- It can be tricky to stay organized in the best of times, but add the holiday madness on top of that, and it's near impossible. Right? Wrong, says Christina Giaquinto of Christina Giaquinto Organizing LLC which caters to clients in the Wyckoff-Franklin Lakes area.
Her advice? Focus on why you celebrate and not so much on the whirlwind of it all. "Today’s society has a way of turning the holidays into work rather than simplifying this season and embracing all the magic, memories, love and cheer that comes with it," she said.
To get the most out of the season, she offers the following tips:
- Delegate: A lot of people have a hard time delegating, but delegating simply means you're asking others to help you so you are not overwhelmed. If you are hosting the holiday party this year, ask everyone to bring a dish so you don’t have to cook for an army. If putting up the lights is too much this year, see if you can allocate enough in your budget to hire someone. If you need help wrapping, ask a local college student if they can use some extra money to help you get everything in order. People love to help; all you have to do is ask.
- Start Early: It's already the first week of December so time is flying by, but we still have three full weeks until the holidays begin. If you haven’t started yet, this is the week to start. The earlier you start the better, because you will feel less anxiety and stress. Do a little bit at a time, and you will be able to fully embrace this season.
- Do It Your Way: The holidays are about happiness, love and joy, but more importantly they are about YOUR happiness. If you want to keep things simple, don’t feel pressured to go overboard with decorations. If you want to go all out, and have a huge party, then make it the best one ever. It is all about what is right for you, your family, and your happiness. If you ever start to feel stressed, ask yourself what you need to do to make your holiday experience better.
- Be Present: This is such a beautiful time of year so enjoy every second. There is a lot to do in one month -- from decorating, to getting a tree, to buying presents and attending lots of parties. These are all fun and memorable things. Do not get trapped in the craziness of the hustle and bustle. Stay present, and embrace the holiday spirit with your loved ones. Always remember what the true meaning of this season is.
- Make A List And Check It Twice: Lists are the best way to stay organized. The number one list you should have is your gift list. Write out a list of everyone you need to get a present for, your budget for that person, and ideas of what to get them. You can also write out a holiday check list and all you need to do in the home from decorating the tree, to hanging up decor, to preparing for the family party. Lists will always be helpful because they simplify your thoughts so you can get more accomplished.
Go to www.christinagiaquinto.com / for more details.