OAKLAND, N.J. – Oakland Diner regulars are banding together to raise money for staff of the popular eatery after a fire Wednesday forced the business to close until damage can be fixed.
A Go Fund Me to support the workers had already garnered nearly $3,000 by Thursday morning.
Following the fire that started in the boiler room , owner Harry Mihas told Daily Voice he was upset because, with the diner closed for at least weeks, it would affect his workers, some of whom are single mothers and rely on tips and their paychecks to support their families.
“It is right before Christmas and I have so many people that work here,” he said.
A group of women from Oakland and Ringwood who frequent the diner quickly decided the community could step in and help.
They created the Go Fund Me to “show our support to the workers by raising money to get them through this difficult time,” organizers wrote on the campaign page.
“We urge everyone in our community to pitch in and donate any amount you can to help the workers during this time,” the page states.
Nobody was hurt in the fire. It severely damaged the boiler room and the women’s restroom, and responders had to cut a hole in the roof for ventilation.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.