NORWOOD, N.J. – A Norwood 11-year-old who died while at a sleep-away camp Monday tested positive for a bacteria that is a precursor to bacterial meningitis, NJ.com reports .
Daniel Beer – who was away at Camp Nah-Jee-Wah in Milford, Pennsylvania -- had Neisseria meningitis, a bacteria that often leads to infections in the brain, spinal cord and bloodstream, the article says.
NJ.com obtained a notice sent to parents of children at the camp stating the new information and outlining precautions underway to prevent more potential infections, the story says.
“We know this is alarming news for any parent, but please keep in mind that the medical advice we have received is that most people who come into contact with this bacterium do not get sick," the email states, according to the article.
The email says that “anyone who had direct contact (possibility of sharing saliva or spit) with Daniel will be receiving a prophylaxis treatment that prevents infection," according to the article.
Beer passed away Monday at Bon Secours Hospital in Port Jervis, New York. He was treated at the camp infirmary for gastrointestinal symptoms Sunday night and was taken to the hospital Monday morning.
Three other boys who were bunking with Beer at the camp were also taken to the hospital as a precautionary measure and later released, according to NJ.com.