WYCKOFF, N.J. -- With summer closing and school days resuming, AAA reminds drivers to watch out for pedestrians before and after school hours.
In the last 10 years, roughly one in four child pedestrian fatalities occurred between 3-7 p.m., according to AAA.
First day of classes throughout the area include:
Franklin Lakes Public Schools : Tuesday.
Oakland Public Schools : Tuesday.
Ramapo-Indian Hills Regional District : Tuesday.
Eastern Christian Middle School (Wyckoff) : Started Wednesday.
Barnstable Academy (Oakland): Thursday.
St. Elizabeth School (Wyckoff): Wednesday.
Tips to remember when driving during the school year include:
• Slow down and be mindful of speed limits in school zones.
• Come to a complete stop and check crosswalks and sidewalks for children.
• Eliminate distractions, such as cell phones.
• Slowly backup when reversing and check all blind spots.
• Watch for bicycles and make sure children wear bike helmets.
• Talk to teen drivers about safety.
Click here for more safety tips and information.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.