WYCKOFF, N.J. -- The Wyckoff Family YMCA Sharks swim team recently returned from a successful trip to the YMCA National Swim Championships, held at the IUPUI natatorium in Indianapolis.
The team -- which sent 31 swimmers to the meet -- trains year-round at the Wyckoff YMCA under Coach Ken Berk and Coach Francesco Peta. The athletes also train for six weeks during the summer at the Glen Rock pool, in preparation for the championship.
Approximately 1,000 athletes from over 130 YMCA teams throughout the United States competed in the week-long meet.
In each event, preliminary heats were held in the morning, with the top 24 swimmers returning to swim at night. Awards are presented to the top 16 athletes in the event. Team scores are recorded and final tallies are announced on the last day of competition.
The team finished 13th. The Wyckoff team returned home with many personal best achievements, as well as some new team records.
"The WFY swimmers not only enjoyed their experience with their teammates, showing stellar sportsmanship, they took it upon themselves to cheer for swimmers from other teams who were without teammates," organizers noted.
"Our swimmers proudly represented the core values of the YMCA: respect, caring, responsibility and honesty during their week-long stay in Indianapolis."
Here are some meet highlights:
- 200 Free Relay -- Jamie Yadoff, Abby Choi, Kate Sheridan, Sarah Horne -- seventh
- 400 Free Relay -- Yadoff, Choi, Kim Caccamo, Sheridan -- sixth
- 400 Free Relay -- Kevin Cortright, Harrison Yi, Alex Gifford, Nolan Kuscan -- eighth
- 800 Free Relay -- Caccamo, Cleopatra Lim, Isabella Biagioli, Sheridan -- 12th
- 800 Free Relay -- Lucas Keh, Gordon Steward, Yi, Francis Biagioli -- eighth
- 800 Free -- Gordon Steward -- 16th
- 400 IM -- Lim -- 16th
- 400 IM -- Francis Biagioli -- fourth
- 200 IM -- Bridget Horton -- 11th
- 200 IM -- Francis Biagioli -- 16th
- 200 Butterfly -- Francis Biagioli -- 12th
- 100 Free -- Sheridan -- 10th
- 100 Free -- Cortright -- eighth
For more information about the team, visit its website.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.