OAKLAND, N.J. – The Oakland Diner will be closed for the next several weeks due to a fire that broke out Wednesday afternoon.
The fire started in the boiler room and quickly spread to the women's bathroom, owner Harry Mihas said. Both are severely damaged, and responders had to cut a hole in the roof.
The restaurant – which won the DVLicious Diner Competition – was filled with guests when the fire broke out, Mihas said. No one was injured.
Mihas is concerned for his employees, many of whom are single mothers and rely on tips and their paychecks to support their families.
“It is right before Christmas," he said, standing in the parking lot, "and I have so many people that work here."
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.