An 82-year-old Wyckoff woman’s son found her dead, the apparent victim of carbon monoxide from a car left running in a garage nearly 20 hours.
Steven Ringley went to the Covington Place house around 12:20 this afternoon after his mother, Mary J. Ringley, didn’t answer phone calls, Police C hief Benjamin Fox said.
He “entered the house through the closed garage door [and] found her car running inside,” the chief said.
Ringley told police he went into the house and found his mother on the floor of a bedroom above the garage.
Wyckoff firefighters found carbon monoxide levels above 1000 parts per million — more than 28 times the level considered toxic, Fox said. There were no carbon monoxide detectors in the home, he said.
Fox said Mrs. Ringley arrived home around 4 o’clock yesterday and apparently lef the car running.
The Bergen County Medical Examiner’s Office is participating in an investigation to determine an official cause of death, the chief said.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.